As you know, Movim is a Jabber client written in PHP, that can be accessed from anywhere and using the decentralised XMPP network. The project’s goals are to offer features similar to that of social networks (blog, timeline, sharing, privacy options and chatrooms) and they’re coming soon.
What’s up ?
It’s been months since you last heard of Movim, nevertheless the project has improved a lot. Let’s review the main changes.
The installer has been greatly simplified. It doesn’t require you to register on an Movim node if you already have a Jabber account elsewhere. MoXL replaced JAXL as the underlying XMPP library and allows to connect directly to any Jabber account anywhere and creates a local cache of your profile on the web server.
This cache has pros and cons:
- profile loading is greatly optimised, whatever device you use at any time and any place
- heavier bits that can’t be stored on the XMPP server (photos, music, videos) that will make an entrance in the version 0.7 will be stored, with the cache, on the web server (this is also Jappix’s behaviour)
Because of this, you’ll have to be “loyal” to your favorite Movim node. On the other hand, those items will benefit from an import/export feature that will let you transfer them from node to node.
Finally, to compare stand-alone and web-based Jabber clients, it is necessary to connect through a BOSH proxy that serves as glue between XMPP and HTTP, which also generates some latency, making cache mandatory (this is also the case for Jappix).
Version 0.6 was released at the beginning of December after five months of development. It brings the following features:
- simplified installer
- a re-designed CSS theme
- a WYSIWYG editor
- privacy options for posts (public/private)
- more translations
- improved user experience (although the UI still has some slow downs)
- many improvements to make contacts loading faster
- implemented of the XEP-0115 Entity Capabilities, which enables the client to communicate its features and the extent of its XMPP support to the server
- implemented DIGEST-MD5 and CRAM-MD5 as more secure log-in mechanisms
Version 0.6.1 was released soon afterwards in mid-January to address SSL certificates problems with BOSH servers.
Movim 0.7 is being worked on and its feature list contains the following:
- media hosting (pictures, videos etc.)
- XMPP groups management
- an administration interface
You can try out the latest development version at http://polytech.mov.im/ :
- with the jabber ID email@example.com
- with the password demonstration