Hi everyone !
After a long silence we are proud to announce the 0.7.2 version of Movim. This is quite a big update with a lot of new features.
The database layer : Modl2
Since the 0.7 version, Movim is based on a brand new database library called Modl (for Movim Data Layer). With this release, Modl has been totally rewritten with two major updates :
- The requests are now in standard SQL and are executed threw the PDO PHP extension. That way, they can be ported easily on different database engines. Since this major improvement Movim can be installed on MySQL and PostgreSQL.
- Modl is also shipped with a new tool called SmartDB. This awesome feature can detect the state of your current database and update it properly when you update the Movim source-code by creating dynamically the columns and the keys. So, when Movim will be updated, the data stored on your database will be preserved.
Theses two features have also been integrated in the admin panel.
Movim now support the XEP-0084: User Avatar. With this new feature the contacts pictures are updated dynamically.
The Bookmark/Subscription system has also been totally rewritten to prevent some minor issues.
Lot of bugs have been fixed in the Group feature :
- Clean properly the database on unsubscription and post deletion
- Handle correctly the group configuration form
- Display more information on the Explorer and Server page (such as the subscription state and the current number of posts in each Groups)
- Add the support of Youtube links (display some thumbnails of the video)
- Some optimizations on the CSS of the posts for the mobile version
- Posts links are now more clearly displayed (with a little favicon)
- Lot of old code has been cleaned up
Some bugs have also been fixed in the chat-room feature which is still in a “development stage”.
In the Movim Core
The Movim log system has been fully rewritten by Jérôme Ilune. It can handle more properly the internal errors and events and greatly simplify the development and debugging of the source-code.
A huge optimization of the source-code has been made, especially in the XMPP event handler and dispatcher. The authentication on the XMPP account is now up to 10 times faster than the previous release. This enhancement is probably the most visible in all the modifications made in this release.
I hope you will enjoy this release, you can download it on Launchpad. You can also test it on the demonstration pod : pod.mov.im.